Saturday, February 22, 2020

Great and Small



You “think yourself a great man
Because you live in a little world.”
Better it is, I think,
To be a small man
In a wide world,
To see your gaze stretch far and sink
Inside the wonders in the depths of every night,
The magic in each word the poets write.
And even better yet, perhaps,
To be a right-sized man
In a right-sized world,
To find your place
And fill that sacred space
With great reserves of love, and then collapse
The borders of your heart until
Each little grain of living wraps
A world within itself, where atoms spill
Upon your soul
And make the wider world whole.


I read a Samuel Butler's translation of The Odyssey last month, and the quote at the beginning of this poem is from near the end of that work. It's a phrase that struck me as I read it, and this poem is simply my effort to think about it a little bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment