Saturday, May 15, 2021

Sheets of Rain

Why does rain come down in sheets?

It’s not a blanket warming those beneath,

Nor, I think, a page of written word,

But maybe one for music, which I’ve heard

In drizzle’s calm and thunder’s gnashing teeth.

Each droplet draws a note when ground it meets.

 

This week's poem is a short one, continuing the rain theme from last week since it has still been raining quite a bit here in Nairobi. (I got caught outside in another cloudburst this past week, and had left my umbrella at home...) Essentially, this poem is just having a little fun with the phrase "sheets of rain" - taking it, perhaps, a bit too literally. I'll also note the rhyming structure in this one, which might be a bit unorthodox, but I kind of like it: It's symmetrical, with the last three lines mirroring the first three.


No comments:

Post a Comment