Saturday, August 21, 2021

Opening Moves

Some like to start offensively

And send their soldiers in

To break the lines aggressively

And sacrifice themselves to win,

While others wait, contentedly,

To build a strong position.

Both ways, they say, are possible,

So make your opening decision.

For me, I find preferable

The latter, though, admittedly,

The former holds its own appeal

To flame toward fortune instantly.

But I will turn a slower wheel

And flow, like water, patiently,

Until the time seems right

Perhaps to press for peace without a fight.

 

There are a lot of standard "openings" in chess, where both sides make a certain set of moves to start off the game. My sense is that these opening ideas are on a spectrum, ranging from very aggressive, where you might sacrifice something to try to attack and apply pressure more quickly, to slower and more positional, where you build up a solid, well-defended structure of pieces. The slower, less aggressive varieties tend to feel more comfortable for me. Of course, I think these ways of starting the game have parallels to the ways in which we approach life.


No comments:

Post a Comment