Sunday, June 5, 2022

Until the Sky Held No More Stars

One by one, bright stars extinguished,

Each darkened with a peal of thunder.

I plugged my ears until it finished.

The storm had passed and rent asunder

Our fabric, filled with fragile scars,

And every time, I hid away,

Until the sky held no more stars,

Just clouds of deathly gray.

 

Here is the third in a series of eight-line poems. I wrote this one after thinking about the elementary school shooting that occurred a few weeks ago. When these types of things happen in the US, the pattern seems to be that society takes some time to collectively feel outrage and heartbreak, and then the old divisions almost immediately set in and nothing changes. At least, that's how it looks to me, watching things from another country. I can't say I know the exact details of what needs to change, but that need certainly seems to exist. Otherwise, the path we're on will likely lead to more of the same.


No comments:

Post a Comment