Sunday, April 9, 2023

The Dove's Descent

The dark descent the dove goes down

To come and claim his coveted crown

Transforms the flow of folly and fear

To hope for heaven’s harmony here.

We trace his trial to a trembling tree

And think, with thunder’s throes at three:

Would sorrow’s storms and struggles cease

If people prized his path of peace?

 

I've been traveling a lot over the past several weeks and am now starting to settle back into a rhythm of writing. This one definitely seemed appropriate for Easter. As with many of my poems, I didn't start out with this theme in mind - I was more focused on trying to see how much alliteration I could pack into every line (and apparently the answer was quite a bit). Eventually, the Easter theme (maybe more precisely, the Good Friday theme) started to take shape.


No comments:

Post a Comment