Sunday, June 18, 2023

In the Midnight Glades (Into the Woods)

Where are you going tonight?

The woods are dark and obscure your sight.

The evening sprites, you say,

Tell stories that bite, too hard for day,

But worth being heard.

In the midnight glades, life’s shades of gray

Abound with every word,

But knowing you’re not alone will light your way.

 

Similar to last week, this poem was inspired by something musical - in this case, an entire musical instead of a single piece. I recently watched a recording of Stephen Sondheim's Into the Woods with the original Broadway cast, which I really enjoyed. When I was part of this musical in middle school, I enjoyed its humor, but I don't think that I fully appreciated its complex narrative themes and structure.


No comments:

Post a Comment