Friday, August 30, 2019

First Movement


A silence hovers in the air,
But expectation’s also waiting there.
The music strives to be awoken.
Creation takes a breath before the start,
But all remains unspoken
Until the player peers into her heart
And pulls upon the string
Connecting past all space and time
To draw from sound’s eternal spring.
Vibrations blossom, spread, and climb
To touch each sympathetic soul and ring
Exactly as they should.
The first notes open out to bring
Awareness of the coming greater good.

While I was visiting my family this past month, I had the opportunity to play my cello at a couple different places. Music might be the way in which I connect most purely with the sacredness I believe is at the foundation of everything. Especially when I'm playing a piece of music, I often feel as if the melodies and harmonies already exist in some sort of timeless ether, and my role is to channel it, bringing it into the physical world, where it can radiate outward and touch the ears and hearts of others.

1 comment:

  1. NICE! I like it, John. So glad to hear you played your cello at several venues while in PA. You connect the music with the listener so well.

    ReplyDelete