Thursday, September 5, 2019

The Dark and Quiet Places


There’s a light outside my window
That shines throughout the night,
And periodic sirens blare
Beneath the moon’s nocturnal flight.
It’s sometimes hard to find a share
Of moments fit to channel rhymes.
Although it’s true that anywhere
Can conjure up poetic chimes,
For me, the dark and quiet places
Seem most attuned to revelation.
The world’s interstitial spaces
Are where I find my inspiration
When all the parts that make up me
Align to strive in harmony
And search for what my role could be
In fashioning the restless night’s
Uncertain destiny.

In my previous apartment, there was a light outside the bedroom window, and I was pretty close to a hospital and a fire station. The light and noise were never really that disturbing, but they made me think about how our environment might help or hurt our efforts to find a more thoughtful or meditative mindset.

No comments:

Post a Comment