Saturday, January 11, 2020

Intertwining


With this post, I'd like to get the word out about a new music album I finished putting together last year. It's available on Amazon, and you should also be able to find and download it through online music streaming services. Below, I've reproduced the back page of the CD booklet, which includes a poem and general description of the music.


INTERTWINING

The moon is full tonight, as is my soul,
A circle filled with light, and all feels whole,
Pieces long divided, now together,
Held, embraced by love’s unending tether.
But now as I reflect upon the past
And look ahead to what our lives might bring,
I know that these relationships will last
And grow as all our voices join and sing.
I see it now – my soul is not in parts.
It stretches, touching all your distant hearts
Across the globe, and you and I will be
Forever woven close in harmony.
Tonight, I leave, my eyes and heart still shining,
For always will our souls be intertwining.

This album of cello, piano, and guitar music is a reflection on my time in Uganda as a Peace Corps Volunteer. Its inspiration came when I returned to Uganda a few years after my service ended. Visiting my friends there for such a short time, only to leave again, was difficult. However, one friend gave me the gift pictured on the cover of this album - a wood carving with both of our names written on the base. The twisting, intertwining design suggested to me that, although we may be far apart, our lives remain connected. With this music and the simple poems contained in this booklet, I've tried to convey that idea, along with what I think is a broader implication: Only together, in connection with one another, can we begin to contribute to a better world.

Intertwining



 

No comments:

Post a Comment