Saturday, March 20, 2021

Two Responses to Pleasant Dreams

 

Where Do Dreams Go (Obsession)

Where do dreams go

When waking brings an ending to their race?

Do lives endure and flow

Though they recede to some subconscious space

Within my head?

When I arise from bed,

Do those who graced my slumber cease to be,

Or might I find their presence in a place

Beyond the shores of fading memory?

If so, I’ll wander high and low

And lose myself to bring you back to me.

 

 

Dreams of You (Appreciation)

Dreams that bridge the darkness bring me through.

In them, I’m blessed to see a smiling face

Whose beams of light the nighttime treats as true.

At break of day,

They fade away,

But I retain a whispered trace

Of you.


I'm not sure if I'll be able to post a poem next weekend. I'll probably be traveling for work. So, I thought I'd do a two-for-one thing this weekend. I started working on these two poems separately. I finished Dreams of You first, and then, as I was almost done with Where Do Dreams Go, I realized that they were somewhat related, both reflecting two different ways of responding to dreams after waking up. One probably goes too far in trying to recapture the feelings and experiences present within the dreams, while the other appreciates the (partial) memories they've left behind. I'm not one who can typically remember much from my dreams, but when I do have one that is especially vivid or that calls to mind a specific person, I'm glad for the traces that remain with me throughout the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment