Saturday, June 12, 2021

Trimming of Hedges

Sometimes I wish there would be no trimming of hedges,

That we’d let them grow to engulf the concrete ledges

Where we walk or stand or sit and stay awake,

No space for dreaming dreams of what we’d make

If we let the world be what it will be

And conform ourselves to the contours it would take,

Rather than working the other way around

Where it’s forced to fit our footprints on the ground.

 

There are large green hedges along the sides of the road during much of the walk from my apartment to my office. I enjoy looking at the twisting branches and small leaves that form this natural wall. A few days ago, I saw several people out trimming these hedges and noticed a number of cut branches and leaves lying in the drainage ditches besides the road. It got me thinking about how we do so much to force the world to conform to our society, our infrastructure, our wants. I wondered how things might be different if we focused just a bit more on fitting ourselves into the shape of the world around us, rather than fitting the world to ourselves.


No comments:

Post a Comment