Sunday, January 29, 2023

Who Owns the Forest

He told me it’s his and showed me in print

The title, signed, with a golden seal’s glint.

Then a gust tore the paper away from his hand.

It fluttered, a leaf on the wind, to land

On the soft forest floor, where it nourished the trees

And surrendered its words to the voice of the breeze.

“Who owns the forest?” I asked of the sky.

“All and none,” came a whispered reply.

 

The idea for this poem came when I was watching a video that mentioned someone owning a forest. While I realize this probably isn't all that uncommon, it struck me as odd. I know some may not agree with this way of thinking, but I have trouble seeing a forest as simply property to own, with all of its life and complex, interconnected processes that defy and surpass our control. Its cycles contribute to the lives of all - human, animal, plant - so all have a stake in its continued thriving, and none can stake an individual claim.


No comments:

Post a Comment