Saturday, September 7, 2019

April in Her Eyes


I sometimes wonder where
Her little boy has gone
Who used to sit atop a wooden chair
Outside her house upon a well-mown lawn.
But in my heart I know
What sadness lingers there,
And trembling in the first December snow
Is grass that’s overgrown in disrepair.
I sometimes glimpse her pacing
On garden paths when clouds are low.
It seems as if she’s searching, chasing
Petals fallen months ago.
To drift beyond her hidden pains,
She lifts her gaze to breaking skies,
But always with the gentle rains
Of April in her eyes.

I recently finished reading Shakespeare's Antony and Cleopatra, and this poem is based on a fairly minor phrase from that play. The phrase wasn't particularly crucial to the plot, and this poem as a whole doesn't really relate to the play. I just liked the phrase and wanted to use it as a starting point for something new.

1 comment: