Saturday, December 14, 2019

At Last to Rest



When the night will fall forever,
Will you tell me what I’ve done?
When I lay me down at last to rest,
Will I see I’m not the only one
Who wonders what these steps have meant
On life’s uncertain, troubled shores?
The waves just go on crashing, sent
In peaceful times and raging wars,
Depositing unlucky creatures,
On the rocks and sand, perhaps, to die.
We tried to stop the waves,
But the force the fates supply
Was stronger than our mortal hands,
Unfit to face the unrelenting flow.
And so, we turned to those now stranded,
Struggling in the sun’s unshielded glow.
We gently sent them back,
Again to try the vast, uncertain sea.
Our footprints sank into the sand.
Repeated steps dug paths that we
Could use to guide us as we worked.
But all those treads have since been swept away
By time, its tidal pendulum
Has smoothed the marks our lives display.
At times, I stayed the course.
At others, I allowed myself to stray.
And as my spirit lies in wait,
I wonder what persists, what may
Affect the universe when I am gone?
Perhaps it’s more than I should ask,
Too proud a thing that I request.
Perhaps the current task
Is to look beyond the cosmic crest,
And to say I tried my best
And rest.


This seemed like an appropriate poem to post as the year nears its end. Occasionally, I can't help but contemplate what it means to live and die in this universe that feels, at times, so vast, and at others, so intimate. When I do, things like this poem usually come out.

No comments:

Post a Comment