Friday, March 20, 2020

Abiding



Yesterday, I stood
With the screen door open wide
To feel the world I’m distanced from
And all the unacknowledged good
It holds. I stood a bit inside,
Took in the air, and heard the hum
Of growing things that sprout and crawl and glide.
In the end, I thought of you
And knew
Your presence will abide.


Like many others, I am now working remotely from home. I'm fortunate to have a job where this type of remote arrangement is possible - many others do not. Still, it's an odd feeling, even for an introvert like me, to be separated from others to this degree. This poem is yet another one of my efforts to remain connected as much as possible, and to provide some small amount of comfort in this extremely uncertain time (for me, as well as for others).

1 comment: