Saturday, March 7, 2020

At Rest


“An object at rest remains at rest.”
This (partial) first law of motion
Is the law of motion I know the best,
For while I lie in the slumbering ocean
Of early morning dreams, the dawn
Begins to dance through the windowpane
Beside my bed, and the conjured fawn
Begins to prance upon my sleeping brain,
But still I remain at rest.

I wait to rise, to wake, to test
My movements as the night transitions
To newborn day. My senses soon suggest
Resuming life’s bold expeditions
Beyond the realms of dreaming,
But even in the sunlight’s beaming
Still I remain at rest.

Then, finally, the impulse of the spheres –
Forever revolving, marking time –
Compels me, as the image disappears,
To rise, to wake, to heed the chime
And cross the threshold into conscious rhyme,
Yet rest remains a natural state,
Returning nightly with unerring fate.


I've been fortunate over the past several years to often have the flexibility to choose my own working hours. For me, that means I can stay up late at night - which is when I often write poetry - and then sleep in a bit the next day. There's not too much to this poem beyond the notion that I like to take my time waking up in the morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment