Saturday, July 17, 2021

Residual Presence

Today, time took your soul away,

While I am left to wonder where you’ve gone.
Do paths exist where spirits stray,

Where you may listen, wait, and linger on?

I muddle through the world without you,

Wishing for the guidance of your hand,

But sometimes when I think about you

I almost feel as if you understand,

As if you know the thoughts I mutter

And watch the steps I take beneath the sky.

I hear the flower petals flutter

And wonder if your presence just passed by,

Yet you would likely wish for me to see

The beauty blooming right in front of me.

 

This poem isn't connected to a recent personal experience, but the world has been facing (and continues to face) a lot of loss over the past couple of years. Here, I'm just imagining a circumstance where someone feels as if a person they've lost is still there, watching and supporting. It's a feeling I've had myself at times.


No comments:

Post a Comment