Saturday, July 24, 2021

Your Line across my Heart

There are lines that run across my heart

And lead to those removed from me

By distance, sadness, strife, or time.

Each line is glazed in memory.

 

I wish to pull them all together,

But that would only pull apart

This web in which our lives are strung

Before new harmonies could start.

 

With every hour’s steady chime

I touch the warmth in every tether,

The bonds to which my heart has clung

While shivering in stormy weather.

 

Do you, so far removed from me,

Detect, within the melody

I strum, your string sublime?


This poem is about the connections between us and the impacts we have on one another, including among those we may not have seen or talked with for a long time. This is certainly something I think about from time to time, being in a different part of the world from many people who I know have impacted (and continue to impact) me.

No comments:

Post a Comment