Saturday, July 3, 2021

The Book that Sleeps beside My Head

When lifting up the mosquito net

And climbing into bed,

I bring with me a notebook that

Will sleep beside my head.

 

It lies upon my pillow while

My thoughts explore the stores of night

To search through each poetic vial

And find what words to write.

 

Yet if I do, it seems more true

That you’ve inspired the dreams which guide my sight.

 

For a while now, I've been doing what I write about in this poem. I have a notebook where I work on poems, usually at night, and I often continue thinking about them as I get into bed. So, I now bring the notebook along, and I've found that as I start to move through that threshold between waking and sleeping, I will sometimes make a connection or find a good word or phrase that had been eluding me. When this happens, I often feel as if that inspiration is coming from somewhere beyond myself...


No comments:

Post a Comment